Working out is one of my favorite ways to spend time with friends; it’s right up there with drinking wine and hitting the beach. There was a time, not too long ago, that I preferred to workout alone (or so I thought). I was too anxious to workout with friends for fear that I wouldn’t meet their expectations.“What if they are freaked out by how red my face gets?” “What if they don’t get as out of breath as I do?” “What if they think I am out of shape?” “What if I don’t run fast enough?” “What if they wish they weren’t working out with me?”
Man, I have come a long way! More about that evolution later. In the meantime, I must share a super fun playlist and routine I did with friends this morning at the local high school.
Our workout was a mix of laps and two rounds of toning drills. In each round, there were 10 stations that we rotated between. The first round focused on the lower body and the second round hit the core. I reference the drills we did in each round below, but its difficult to interpret without photos. So, if you do this workout, feel free to create your own mix of drills with your favorite moves (i.e. squats, walking lunges, pulse lunges, etc.)
Fun Fit Friends Routine
- Warm up with 4 laps around the track (easy run pace to warm up)
- Round 1 – 10 drills, 2 minutes each. Our ten drills: Run stairs, Sumo squats, Side stair climb with 180 degree turns (stay in a low squat as you climb two stairs at a time, then rotate 180 degrees and repeat on other side), Cross back lunge, Side lunges, Step ups with step back lunge (60 seconds on each side), Run stairs, Lunge with weighted ball pass and press (60 seconds on each side), Deadlift with kettle bell, Single leg deadlift with a row using dumbbells (60 seconds on each side)
- Two laps around the track – run the first at moderate pace and the second at a fast run pace)
- Round 2 – 10 drills, 60 seconds each. Our ten drills: Single leg clock squats (30 seconds on each side), Hip lifts, Plank pikes, Tricep dips, Straight leg kicks, Side plank pulses (30 seconds on each side), Touch touches with weighted ball (lying on your back with legs at 90 degrees), Russian twist with 5 lb dumbbell, Side lying leg lifts (30 seconds on each side), Side press with 10 lb kettle bell (30 seconds on each side).
- One lap around the track (fast run) followed immediately with three runs up the bleachers
Fun Fit Friends Playlist
Unlike many of my playlists, this one does not have a particular order. I hit “shuffle” and let the Spotify Gods determine what was up next.
P.S. Sorry to all the surrounding residents who were within earshot of this energizing playlist. But really, who doesn’t want to hear Snoop Dogg at 7am on a Sunday?